The great news for local businesses is that local businesses actually have an advantage over the big corporations, thanks to Google Maps / Google My Business Local listings.
How to set up Google My Business:
- If you do not already have a Google Account simply create one at
- Create a Google Local Business Account
Click “Get on Google”
- Search for your business by name or address in the prompt
If you are not a local business then click the prompt “Not a local business?” and then select your business type. The Brand option will then direct you to create a non-local Google+ page.
If you cannot locate your business then your business has not been added in the past; simply click “None of these matches, add your business” then fill out the required information.
- After finding your correct business location click on it. Google will now create your Google + page with your address you have input. Check “I am authorized to manage this business” then click continue.
- Google will need to verify your business address so click “Mail me the Code”. A letter containing your code should arrive in the mail within the next 4 – 5 business days; simply take the code and return to your Google My Business site and add the code.
- The next step is to add photos to your Google My Business account. Click the “add profile photo” then continue adding content such as business hours, contact information etc. When you are through click “Done Editing”.
Google My Business is a great tool your organization has available and best of all its free. As your site and reviews mature it should greatly increase its online visibility on Google.